Sunday, April 22, 2012

A different kind of tortilla

   Siiiiigh.  Yet another post that i didn't think about till AFTER all the cooking and eating was done.  Breakfast this morning was Tortilla Espanol.  Tortilla seems to be a funny word.  In Mexico a tortilla is a flat round bread, in Spain a tortilla is a baked omelet, kinda like a fritata.  A tortilla Espanol is potatoes and eggs, baked into yummyness.
  I started with 5 or 6 small yukon gold potatoes, sliced kinda thin.  I tossed them in an oven safe skillet with garlic powder, onion powder, Mrs. Dash and lots of salt (which totally defeats the purpose of the Mrs. Dash lol).  Sautee till relatively soft, stirring only occasionally so you get some nice brown on the potatoes.  Then I beat 7 or 8 eggs and poured them over the potatoes and seasoned with salt and pepper.  I turned down the heat and turned on the oven to 350.  I let the eggs start to set on the stove top till the oven was up to temp then popped that sucker in and let it bake till the eggs were set and a knife came out clean.  I think it was in the oven for about 20 minutes.  I cut it into wedges like a quiche and served it to my famished children.  I slathered my own with a large amount of hot sauce and inhaled it.
   In making this I used up the rest of the potatoes in my fridge as well as the rest of a dozen of eggs.  I like meals that do that, a LOT.

2 comments: